[Python-Dev] PEP 414 - Unicode Literals for Python 3

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Feb 27 11:17:43 CET 2012

>> There are no significant overhead to use converters.
> That's because what you're benchmarking here more than anything is the
> overhead of eval() :-)  See the benchmark linked in the PEP for one that
> measures the actual performance of the string literal / wrapper.

There are a few other unproven performance claims in the PEP. Can you
kindly provide the benchmarks you have been using? In particular, I'm
interested in the claim " In many cases 2to3 runs one or two orders of
magnitude slower than the testsuite for the library or application it's
testing."

Regards,
Martin