[Python-Dev] Backporting PEP 414

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue Feb 28 22:48:27 CET 2012

On Feb 28, 2012, at 03:54 PM, Benjamin Peterson wrote:

>> If there is already a FAQ entry feel free to point me to it, but I would
>> still be curious why, in this instance, practicality does not beat purity?
>
>Because it's practical not to break bugfix releases with new features.

And because now your code is incompatible with three micro-release versions
(3.2.0, 3.2.1, and 3.2.2), two of which are bug fix releases.  Which means for
example, you can't be sure which version of which distro your code will work
on.

Doesn't anybody else remember the True/False debacle in 2.2.1?

Cheers,
-Barry