[Python-Dev] Add a frozendict builtin type

Eli Bendersky eliben at gmail.com
Wed Feb 29 20:33:43 CET 2012

> The frozenset type covers a niche case that is nice-to-have but
> *rarely* used.  Many experienced Python users simply forget
> that we have a frozenset type.  We don't get bug reports or
> feature requests about the type.  When I do Python consulting
> work, I never see it in a client's codebase.  It does occasionally
> get discussed in questions on StackOverflow but rarely gets
> offered as an answer (typically on variants of the "how do you
> make a set-of-sets" question).  If Google's codesearch were still
> alive, we could add another datapoint showing how infrequently
> this type is used.
>
> <snip>

There are some alternatives to code.google.com, though. For example:

http://www.koders.com/default.aspx?s=frozenset&submit=Search&la=Python&li=*

>From a cursory look: quite a bit of the found results are from the various
Python implementations, and there is some duplication of projects, but it
would be unfair to conclude that frozenset is not being used since many of
the results do look legitimate. This is not to argue in favor or against
frozendict, just stating that there's still a way to search code online :)

Eli