[Python-Dev] Code reviews

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue Jan 3 04:20:09 CET 2012

On Jan 02, 2012, at 06:35 PM, Georg Brandl wrote:

>Exactly. Especially for reviews of patches from non-core people, we
>should exercise a lot of restraint: as the committers, I think we can be
>expected to bite the sour bullet and apply our uniform style (such as
>it is).
>
>It is tiresome, if not downright disappointing, to get reviews that
>are basically "nothing wrong, but please submit again with one more
>empty line between the classes", and definitely not the way to
>attract more contributors.

I think it's fine in a code review to point out where the submission misses
the important consistency points, but not to hold up merging the changes
because of that.  You want to educate and motivate so that the next submission
comes closer to our standards.  The core dev who commits the change can clean
up style issues.

-Barry

P.S. +1 for the change to PEP 7.