[Python-Dev] PEP 407 / splitting the stdlib

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Thu Jan 19 01:19:29 CET 2012

Brett Cannon wrote:

> And honestly, if we don't go with this I'm with Georg's comment in another
> email of beginning to consider stripping the stdlib down to core libraries
> to help stop with the bitrot (sorry, Paul). If we can't attract new
> replacements for modules we can't ditch because of backwards compatibility
> I start to wonder if I should even care about improving the stdlib outside
> of core code required to make Python simply function.

Do we have any evidence of this alleged bitrot? I spend a lot of time on the
comp.lang.python newsgroup and I see no evidence that people using Python
believe the standard library is rotting from lack of attention.

I do see people having trouble with installing third party packages. I see
that stripping back the standard library and forcing people to rely more on
external libraries will hurt, rather than help, the experience they have with
Python.

--
Steven