[Python-Dev] PEP 408 -- Standard library __preview__ package

Eric V. Smith eric at trueblade.com
Sat Jan 28 14:23:45 CET 2012

On 1/28/2012 2:10 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 3:22 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:
>> Executive summary:
>>
>> If the promise to remove the module from __preview__ is credible (ie,
>> strictly kept), then __preview__ will have a specific audience in
>> those who want the stdlib candidate code and are willing to deal with
>> a certain amount of instability in that code.
>
> People need to remember there's another half to this equation: the
> core dev side.
>
> The reason *regex* specifically isn't in the stdlib already is largely
> due to (perhaps excessive) concerns about the potential maintenance
> burden. It's not a small chunk of code and we don't want to deal with
> another bsddb.

> Really, the main benefit for end users doesn't lie in __preview__
> itself: it lies in the positive effect __preview__ will have on the
> long term evolution of the standard library, as it aims to turn
> python-dev's inherent conservatism (which is a good thing!) into a
> speed bump rather than a road block.

I was -0 on this proposal, but after Nick's discussion above I'm now +1.

I also think it's worth thinking about how multiprocessing would have
benefited from the __preview__ process.

And for people saying "just use PyPI": that tends to exclude many
Windows users from trying out packages that aren't pure Python.