[Python-Dev] PEP 408 -- Standard library __preview__ package

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Sat Jan 28 17:09:08 CET 2012

On 28/01/2012 13:55, Matt Joiner wrote:
>> __preview__ would fall into this category as well). And yet I have
>> essentially no means of gaining access to any 3rd party modules,
>> whether they are packaged by the distro or obtained from PyPI.  (And
>> "build your own" isn't an option in many cases, if only because a C
>> compiler may well not be available!) This is essentially due to
>> corporate inertia and bogged down "do-nothing" policies rather than
>> due dilligence or supportability concerns. But it is a reality for me
>> (and many others, I suspect).
>>
>> Having said this, of course, the same corporate inertia means that
>> Python 3.3 is a pipe-dream for me in those environments for many years
>> yet. So ignoring them may be reasonable.
> You clearly want access to external modules sooner. A preview
> namespace addresses this indirectly. The separated stdlib versioning
> concept is far superior for this use case.
There are two proposals for the standard library - one is to do
development in a separate repository to make it easier for other
implementations to contribute. To my understanding this proposal is
mildly controversial, but doesn't involve changing the way the standard
library is distributed or versioned.

A separate proposal about standard library versioning has been floated
but is *much* more controversial and therefore much less likely to
happen. So I wouldn't hold your breath on it...

All the best,

Michael Foord