[Python-Dev] PEP 3144 ipaddr module (was Re: PEP 408 -- Standard library __preview__ package)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 02:26:09 CET 2012

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 10:51 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull
<stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:
> Nick Coghlan writes:
>
>  >     1. Draft ReStructuredText documentation for inclusion in the stdlib docs
>  >
>  > (still needed)
>
> No wonder people (not directly involved in development of the module)
> think that the proponents don't care!  What good is a battery if the
> odds are even that you will hook it up with wrong polarity and fry
> your expensive components?

Thinking about how to document the library from a network engineer's
perspective was actually the driving force behind my asking for the
Address/Interface/Network split in the PEP 3144 branch. Without that,
Network tries to fill both the Interface and Network role and it
becomes a bit of a nightmare to write coherent prose documentation.

Sure, merging them can *work* from a programming point of view, but
you can't document it that way and have the API seems sensible to
anyone familiar with the underlying networking concepts.

Now that ReadTheDocs exists, it is of course *much* easier to draft
and publish such documentation than it once was
(*not-so-subtle-hint*).

Cheers,
Nick.