[Python-Dev] cdecimal (Was: Store timestamps as decimal.Decimal objects)

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 12:47:27 CET 2012

On 31 January 2012 11:11, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> although decimal.Decimal is also a contender if backed up by
> Stefan's C implementation.

As you mention this, and given the ongoing thread about __preview__
and "nearly ready for stdlib" modules, what is the current position on
cdecimal? I seem to recall it being announced some time ago, but I
don't recall any particular discussions/conclusions about including it
in the stdlib.

Is it being considered for stdlib inclusion? What obstacles remain
before inclusion (clearly not many, if it's being seriously considered
as an option to support functions in something as fundamental as os)?
Do Guido's comments on the __preview__ thread make any difference
here?

(Note - I don't have any particular *need* for cdecimal, I'm just curious...)

Paul.