[Python-Dev] GitHub mirror (Was: Bitbucket mirror?)

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 10:42:38 CEST 2012

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 6:58 AM, Eli Bendersky <eliben at gmail.com> wrote:

> The devguide (http://docs.python.org/devguide/committing.html) says:
>
> Bitbucket also maintain an up to date clone of the main cpython repository
> that can be used as the basis for a new clone or patch queue.
>
> [the link goes to https://bitbucket.org/mirror/cpython/overview]

This one is better than Atlassian's (looks nice, shorter URL) and
worked long before Atlassian promotion as "makers of Bitbucket", which
is dead wrong BTW, because everybody knows they bought BB. I don't
remember if I commented on the Python Insider or if it was censored.
Whatever.. it hurts Atlassian, not me.

On the subject. Is there a mirror of CPython on GitHub?
I abandoned my efforts to create online editor for docs, which should
have been both web fronted independent, maintainable and clean. It
appeared much easier to just use GitHub - so far it is the only one
from open source code hosting services that directly commits online
changes to repository (and allows anonymous to do this). I've made
more than a dozen proposal for fixing docs, because as a matter of
fact - filling a bug AND explaining why docs are wrong, why they need
to be fixed, what should be added - all of this is a way *much easier*
(and less time consuming!) than just fixing them. Unfortunately.