[Python-Dev] Bloody FAQ (Was: [Python-ideas] itertools.chunks(iterable, size, fill=None))

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Thu Jul 5 21:58:52 CEST 2012

anatoly techtonik, 05.07.2012 21:41:
> On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 7:50 PM, Stefan Behnel wrote:
>> anatoly techtonik, 05.07.2012 15:36:

>>> I quite often see such arguments and I can't stand to repeat that
>>> these are not arguments. It is good to know, but when people use that
>>> as a reason to close tickets - that's just disgusting.
>>
>> The *real* problem is that people keep bringing up topics (and even spell
>> them out in the bug tracker) without searching for existing discussions
>> and/or tickets first. That's why those who do such a search (or who know
>> what they are talking about anyway) close these tickets with the remark
>> "this has been rejected before", instead of repeating an entire heap of
>> arguments all over again to feed a discussion that would only lead to the
>> same result as it did before, often several times before.
>
> Make the bloody FAQ and summarize this stuff? Why waste each others
> time?

Yes, that is exactly the question.

It takes time to write things up nicely. I mean, once someone has pointed
out to you that this has been discussed before, you could just go, look it
up (or search for it), and then put it into a Wiki or blog post yourself,
or sum it up and send it to the mailing list as a reply. Why rely on others
to do it for you?

Stefan