[Python-Dev] PEP 0424: A method for exposing a length hint

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 18:00:58 CEST 2012

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 1:55 AM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
> (I expect the difference in behaviour is due to the default ulimit under
> Debian/Mint and RedHat/Fedora systems.)

Possibly also virtual memory settings. Allocating gobs of memory with
a huge page file slows everything down without raising an error.

And since it's possible to have non-infinite but ridiculous-sized
iterators, I'd not bother putting too much effort into protecting
infinite iterators - although the "huge but not infinite" case is,
admittedly, rather rarer than either "reasonable-sized" or "actually
infinite".

ChrisA