[Python-Dev] A new JIT compiler for a faster CPython?

martin at v.loewis.de martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Jul 18 00:12:26 CEST 2012

> If you disagree, you should feel no need to convince me; just go do
> it and prove me wrong, which I will be quite happy to be.  I would
> just like to think about whether this is the best use of your energy
> first.

While I follow most of your reasoning, I think this is a flaw in your
logic. This is free software: the only person to decide where energy is
best used is the person providing the energy.

It may well be that Victor gives up after the first three steps, or
it may be that he comes back with a working prototype in August. He may
well find that his energy is *best* spent in this project, since it may
get him a highly-payed job, a university diploma, or reputation. If not
that, he'll learn a lot.

> But definitely listen to Maciej's suggestion about concentrating
> efforts with other people engaged in similar efforts, regardless :).

Again, this thinking is flawed, IMO. It might be in the community's
interest if people coordinate, but not in the interest of the individual
contributor.

> As your original message shows, there has already been enough
> duplication of effort in this area.

And that's not really a problem, IMO.

Regards,
Martin