[Python-Dev] A new JIT compiler for a faster CPython?

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Wed Jul 18 13:12:54 CEST 2012

On 18 Jul, 2012, at 7:53, martin at v.loewis.de wrote:

>> What is the status of LLVM nowadays? Is it not a good solution to
>> write a portable JIT?
>
> I don't think it is. It is still slow and memory hungry. The fact that
> the version that Apple ships with Xcode still miscompiles Python 3.3
> tells me that it is still buggy.

Does it miscompile? I regularly run the 3.3 testsuite using the latest Xcode from the Appstore on a OSX Lion machine and that works properly. The only unexpected test failures are in ctypes, which is probably caused by the way the clang developers interpret the ABI w.r.t. passing small values.

Ronald