[Python-Dev] what is happening with the regex module going into Python 3.3?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Jun 1 20:57:46 CEST 2012

On 6/1/2012 1:27 PM, Brett Cannon wrote:
> About the only thing I can think of from the language summit that we
> discussed doing for Python 3.3 that has not come about is accepting the
> regex module and getting it into the stdlib. Is this still being worked
> towards?

Since there is no PEP to define the details* of such an addition, I
assume that no particular core developer focused on this. There have
been a lot of other additions to take people's attention. Also, I do not
remember seeing anything from Mathew Barnett about his views on the
proposal.

* Some details:

Replacement of or addition to re.

Relation to continued external project and 'ownership' of code.

Relation, if any, to the Unicode Regular Expression Technical Standard,
and its levels of conformance.
http://unicode.org/reports/tr18/

The addition of ipaddress was not a drop-in process. There have been
some docstrings changes and clarifications, some code changes and
cleanups, and removal of stuff only needed for 2.x. I suspect that regex
would get at least as much tuning once seriously looked at.

--
Terry Jan Reedy