[Python-Dev] what is happening with the regex module going into Python 3.3?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Jun 3 12:51:29 CEST 2012

On 02.06.2012 02:37, Mark Lawrence wrote:
> On 01/06/2012 18:27, Brett Cannon wrote:
>> About the only thing I can think of from the language summit that we
>> discussed doing for Python 3.3 that has not come about is accepting the
>> regex module and getting it into the stdlib. Is this still being worked
>> towards?
>>

> Umpteen versions of regex have been available on pypi for years. Umpteen
> bugs against the original re module have been fixed. If regex can't now
> go into the standard library, what on earth can?

Something that isn't that big so that a maintainer can really read all
of it.

I really wish the bug fixes had been made to SRE, instead of rewriting
it all. So I'm -0 on this regex module. If this isn't added to 3.3,
I'll start encouraging people to contribute changes to SRE for 3.4, and
just ignore the regex module.

Regards,
Martin