[Python-Dev] JITted regex engine from pypy

Maciej Fijalkowski fijall at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 13:49:43 CEST 2012

Hi

I was reading a bit about the regex module and I would like to present some
other solution into speeding up the re module for Python.

So, as a bit of background - pypy has a re compatible module. It's also
JITted and it's also exportable as a C library (that is a library you can
call from C with C API, not a python extension module). I wonder if it
would be worth to put some work into it to make it a library that CPython
can use.

On the minus side, the JIT only works on x86 and x86_64, on the plus side,
since it's 100% API compatible, it can be used as a _xxx speedup module
relatively easy.

Do people have opinions?

Cheers,
fijal