[Python-Dev] whither PEP 407 and 413 (release cycle PEPs)?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 23:11:16 CEST 2012

On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 7:02 AM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think marking both as Rejected would be an accurate reflection of
> python-dev's collective opinion.

Slight correction: I think it would accurately reflect python-dev's
*divided* opinion, using the principle of "Status quo wins a
stalemate". The costs for either scheme are high, the benefits are not
proven, thus the default is to stick with the status quo.

Releasing alphas early, OTOH, doesn't require any real changes to our
development process at all, aside from imposing a bit more discipline
on trunk development in the first 12 months of the release cycle (I'm
inclined to place that particular detail on the "benefit" side of the
ledger, rather than the "cost" side). The *total* number of releases
from the release managers and installer builders shouldn't increase
much, if at all - I'd suggest we just stick with Georg's practice of 4
alpha releases, and merely space them out over the course of the
release cycle rather than clustered together at the end.

If Larry doesn't want to try this for 3.4, then I'll most likely
volunteer as 3.5 RM and try it out then.

Cheers,
Nick.