[Python-Dev] What should we do with cProfile?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Jun 4 12:27:57 CEST 2012

> So I wondering whether we should abandon the change all together or
> attempt it for the next release. Personally, I slightly leaning on
> the former option since the two modules are actually fairly different
> underneath even though they are used similarly. And also, because it
> is getting late to make such backward incompatible changes.

I agree that this change is not worthwhile for Python 3. I suggest to
close the issue as "won't fix".

I'm not sure whether anybody uses the profile module at all, so
recycling the name might have been appropriate for Python 3.0. But
now that would be a backwards-incompatible change, and I agree it's
doubtful whether a backwards-compatible change can be achieved.

Even if profile could somehow stay compatible, nothing is gained if
cProfile also stays - but it would have to, for backwards compatibility
reasons.

I predict that at some point, somebody contributes yet another profiling
tool which may well supersede both profile and cProfile. If you are
interested in profiling in general, I suggest that you could rather work
on such code, and release it to PyPI.

Regards,
Martin