[Python-Dev] what is happening with the regex module going into Python 3.3?

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Tue Jun 5 02:31:10 CEST 2012

MRAB wrote:

> I personally am no longer that bothered about whether the regex module
> makes it into stdlib, but I am still be maintaining it on PyPI. If
> someone else wants to integrate it I would, of course, be willing to
> help out.

Are you withdrawing your offer to maintain regex in the stdlib?

> As long as they basically have the same source code, any bugs or other
> problems in the integrated module would be shared by the separate
> module, and I would want to fix them, so any fix in the separate module
> could be replicated easily in the integrated module.

But changes to the stdlib (bug fixes or functional changes) are very likely to
run at a slower pace to what third-party packages can afford. If you continue
to develop regex outside of the stdlib, that could cause complications.

--
Steven