[Python-Dev] what is happening with the regex module going into Python 3.3?

MRAB python at mrabarnett.plus.com
Tue Jun 5 03:22:04 CEST 2012

On 05/06/2012 01:31, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> MRAB wrote:
>
>>  I personally am no longer that bothered about whether the regex module
>>  makes it into stdlib, but I am still be maintaining it on PyPI. If
>>  someone else wants to integrate it I would, of course, be willing to
>>  help out.
>
> Are you withdrawing your offer to maintain regex in the stdlib?
>

>>  As long as they basically have the same source code, any bugs or other
>>  problems in the integrated module would be shared by the separate
>>  module, and I would want to fix them, so any fix in the separate module
>>  could be replicated easily in the integrated module.
>
> But changes to the stdlib (bug fixes or functional changes) are very likely to
> run at a slower pace to what third-party packages can afford. If you continue
> to develop regex outside of the stdlib, that could cause complications.

I'm not planning any further changes to regex. I think it already has
enough features...

That just leaves 1) bug fixes, which you'd also want fixed in the
stdlib, and 2) functional changes requested for the stdlib, which you'd
presumably also want in the third-party package for those using earlier
versions of Python.