[Python-Dev] Language reference updated for metaclasses

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 09:18:57 CEST 2012

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 1:24 PM, Eli Bendersky <eliben at gmail.com> wrote:

> "if an explicit metaclass is given and it is not an instance of
> type(), then it is used directly as the metaclass"
>
> Could you elaborate on this point? Would it perhaps be clearer to say
> "if an explicit metaclass is given and it is not a class"?

Unfortunately, the term "a class" is slightly ambiguous. "cls is a
class" can mean either "isinstance(cls, type)" or it can be shorthand
for "cls is a user-defined class (i.e. not a builtin type)".

I'll likely rephrase that section of the docs based on the current
discussion with PJE, though.

Cheers,
Nick.