[Python-Dev] Updated PEP 362 (Function Signature Object)

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Wed Jun 6 19:15:13 CEST 2012

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 12:16 PM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info>wrote:

> Larry Hastings wrote:
>
>  [...]
>>> "Changes to the Signature object, or to any of its data members,
>>> do not affect the function itself."
>>>
>>> which leaves the possibility that __signature__ may no longer match the
>>> actual argument spec, for some reason. If you remove getfullargspec, people
>>> will have to reinvent it to deal with such cases.
>>>

>> There's no reason why they should disagree.  The "some reason" would be
>> if some doorknob decided to change it--the objects are mutable, because
>> there's no good reason to make them immutable.
>>

> Nevertheless, the world is full of doorknobs, and people will have to deal
> with their code.

This is also Python, the language that assumes everyone is an consenting
adult.

> The case for deprecating getfullargspec is weak. The case for deprecating
> it *right now* is even weaker. Let's not rush to throw away working code.

If people really want to keep getullargspec() around then I want to at
least add a note to the function that signature objects exist as an
alternative (but not vice-versa). I personally still regret the
getopt/argparse situation and this feels like that on a smaller scale.

-Brett