[Python-Dev] next alpha sequence value from var pointing to array

jdmorgan jdmorgan at unca.edu
Thu Jun 7 04:32:09 CEST 2012

Hello,

I am hoping that this list is a good place to ask this question.I am
still fairly new to python, but find it to be a great scripting
language.Here is my issue:

I am attempting to utilize a function to receive any sequence of letter
characters and return to me the next value in alphabetic order e.g. send
in "abc" get back "abd".I found a function on StackExchange (Rosenfield,
A 1995) that seems to work well enough (I think):

def next(s):

strip_zs = s.rstrip('z')

if strip_zs:

return strip_zs[:-1] + chr(ord(strip_zs[-1]) + 1) + 'a' * (len(s) -
len(strip_zs))

else:

return 'a' * (len(s) + 1)

I have found this function works well if I call it directly with a
string enclosed in quotes:

returnValue = next("abc")

However, if I call the function with a variable populated from a value I
obtain from an array[] it fails returning only ^K

Unfortunately, because I don't fully understand this next function I
can't really interpret the error.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ahead of time,

Derek