[Python-Dev] backporting stdlib 2.7.x from pypy to cpython

Jeff Hardy jdhardy at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 18:22:29 CEST 2012

On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 8:13 AM, Matti Picus <matti.picus at gmail.com> wrote:

> The windows port of pypy makes special demands on stdlib, specifically that
> files are explicitly closed. There are some other minor issues, in order to
> merge all the changes necessary to get pypy windows up to speed, around 10
> modules or at  least their tests seem to need to be modified.
> I have been doing a bit of work on the stdlib shipped with pypy 1.9
> (version 2.7.2 unfortunately) to make it compliant. Assuming there is interest,
> what would be the best path to get, for instance, a modified version of
> mailbox.py with its tests (test_mailbox.py and test_old_mailbox.py) backported
> to cpython?

These fixes would also be useful for IronPython and possibly Jython as
well. Unclosed files are probably the biggest set of failures when
running CPython's tests on IronPython (along with assuming that
sys.platform == 'win32' means Windows). Whether or not they get
backported to CPython, it might be worth finding a way to share the
2.7 stdlib between the alternative implementations (changes to 3.x
should go into CPython, obviously).

- Jeff