[Python-Dev] backporting stdlib 2.7.x from pypy to cpython

Brett Cannon brett at yvrsfo.ca
Mon Jun 11 22:31:14 CEST 2012

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 3:35 PM, PJ Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 12:33 PM, Jeff Hardy <jdhardy at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 8:28 AM, Eric Snow <ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Nick's option 2 would be an improvement, but I imagine that option 3
>> > would have been the most effective by far.  Of course, the key thing
>> > is how closely the various implementors would follow the new list.
>> > Only they could say, though Frank Wierzbicki seemed positive about it.
>>
>> This has come up a couple of times recently (discussions on PEP 421
>> and PEP 405), so I think it would be worth while. I don't have the
>> time to track all of the different proposals that are in flux; it
>> would be nice to know when they're "done" and just need a sanity check
>> to make sure everything will work for other implementations.
>>

> Yes, perhaps if the list were *just* a place to cc: in or send a heads-up
> to python-dev discussions, and not to have actual list discussions per se,
> that would do the trick.
>
> IOW, the idea is, "If you're a contributor to a non-CPython
> implementation, subscribe here to get a heads-up on Python-Dev discussions
> you should be following."  Not, "here's a list to discuss Python
> implementations in general", and definitely not a place to *actually
> conduct discussions* at all: the only things ever posted there should be
> cc:'d from or to Python-Dev, or be pointers to Python-Dev threads.

Do you know how much of a pain that could become if you were moderator of
that list? Having to potentially clear every email that goes to some thread
by hand would become nearly unmanageable.

> That way, we'd have a solution for the periodic, "hmm, we should get other
> implementations to weigh in on this thread" problem, that wouldn't actually
> divide the discussion.  Instead, we'd have a "Bat Signal" (Snake Signal?)
> to bring the other heroes in to meet with Commissioner Guido.  ;-)

But we already have the various SIGs carry out discussions outside of
python-dev and just bring forward their results to python-dev when they are
ready. Why would this list be any different?