[Python-Dev] [compatibility-sig] making sure importlib.machinery.SourceLoader doesn't throw an exception if bytecode is not supported by a VM

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Tue Jun 12 21:01:05 CEST 2012

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 2:28 PM, Eric Snow <ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 10:48 AM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> > I should mention another option is to add sys.dont_read_bytecode (I
> think I
> > have discussed this with Frank at some point).
>
> Or check for "sys.implementation.cache_tag is None"...

Perfect! Will that work for Jython (Franke) and IronPython (Jeff)?

This does mean, though, that imp.cache_from_source() and
imp.source_from_cache() might need to be updated to raise a reasonable
exception when sys.implementation.cache_tag is set to None as I believe
right now it will raise a TypeError because None isn't a str. But what to
raise instead? TypeError? EnvironmentError?