[Python-Dev] backporting stdlib 2.7.x from pypy to cpython

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Thu Jun 14 00:13:16 CEST 2012

On 11Jun2012 15:35, PJ Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
| Yes, perhaps if the list were *just* a place to cc: in or send a heads-up
| to python-dev discussions, and not to have actual list discussions per se,
| that would do the trick.

This approach has its own problems. Is the proposed list, like many lists,
restricted to accept posts only from subscribers? If that is the case,
when someone CCs the VM list, everyone honouring the CC in replies needs
to be a VM list member if they are not to get annoying bounce messages. It
is a core reason that mailing list cross posting is discouraged in many
lists; the receivers are not all members of all the cross posted lists,
and so get lots of shrapnel when they try to participate.

Personally, I am _for_ cross posting (when on topic), except for this
unfortunate issue.

| IOW, the idea is, "If you're a contributor to a non-CPython implementation,
| subscribe here to get a heads-up on Python-Dev discussions you should be
| following."  Not, "here's a list to discuss Python implementations in
| general", and definitely not a place to *actually conduct discussions* at
| all:

+1 to this, but how to keep this etiquette maintained?

| the only things ever posted there should be cc:'d from or to
| Python-Dev, or be pointers to Python-Dev threads.

And (premised on my concern above), do people wanting to CC: the VM list
for the heads-up purpose need to join it first?

Conversely, some of this discussion mentions that people don't subscribe
to python-dev; do they need to subscribe to chime in when the bat signal
goes off?

To reiterate, I'm all for the bat signal, but will there be shrapnel?

Hackish idea: suppose there were a special purpose mail forwarder, like
a write-only mailing list? It would require special Mailman hackery, but
imagine:

  - a bat-signal list, which rejected posts not from members of
    python-dev

  - accepted messages get forwarded to all the relevant VM-specific lists,
    but with a rewritten "From:" line of "bat-signal at python.org" or such, and
    we subscribe _that_ address to the relevant lists to allow it in.
    And replies directed to "<>", as done with bounce messages, perhaps?
    Or python-dev, probably better.

  - if the rewritten "From:" address is the bat-signal list itself
    (pleasing), the copies sent back are dropped (special hack - drop inbound
    from the list address)

This mechanical approach would get you access control to block spam to
the bat-signal and send alerts to the other lists, and send discussion
back to python-dev.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au>

Nothing is impossible for the man who doesn't have to do it.