[Python-Dev] PEP 362 Third Revision

Larry Hastings larry at hastings.org
Fri Jun 15 20:52:16 CEST 2012

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 9:52 AM, Benjamin Peterson<benjamin at python.org>  wrote:

> 2012/6/15 Larry Hastings<larry at hastings.org>:
>> If I understand you correctly, you seem to be trying to apply
>> "is_implemented" to the problem of predicting which specific inputs to a
>> parameter would be valid.  I don't think that problem is tractable--it's way
>> too context-specific.
> Exactly! It's too context sensitive to belong on a generic signature
> object. Without is_implemented, all the properties of the signature
> object should only change if you alter the parameter list. How a
> parameter is dealt with in the function should not affect the
> signature of a function.

My opinion is that function introspection allows you to answer questions
about that function, and the question "Can I use this parameter at all?"
is relevant.

On 06/15/2012 10:21 AM, Alexandre Zani wrote:
> I agree. It seems to me is_implemented solves too small a class of the
> problem it attacks to be worth including in the signature.

I concede that I appear to be in an extremely small minority.  (Has a
single other person stepped forward in support of is_implemented?  I
don't recall one.)

//arry/