[Python-Dev] PEP 362 minor nits

Yury Selivanov yselivanov.ml at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 02:11:26 CEST 2012

On 2012-06-19, at 4:17 PM, Jim Jewett wrote:
>> I can tweak the PEP to make it more clear for those who don't know
>> that staticmethods are not exactly methods, but do we really need that?
>
> I would prefer it, if only because it surprised me.  When do
> distinguish between methods, staticmethod isn't usually the odd man
> out.
>
> And I also agree that the implementation doesn't need to change
> (except to add a comment), only the PEP.

Actually, it appears we don't need those special checks (for classmethod
and staticmethod) at all.

      class Foo:
          @staticmethod
          def bar(): pass

      >>> Foo.bar
      <function bar ...>

      >>> Foo().bar
      <function bar ...>

      >>> Foo.__dict__['bar']
      <staticmethod ...>

So using the signature will be OK for 'Foo.bar' and 'Foo().bar', but
not for 'Foo.__dict__['bar']' - which I think is fine (since
staticmethod & classmethod instances are not callable)

I'll just remove checks for static- and class-methods from the
PEP signature() algorithm section.

-
Yury