[Python-Dev] Status of packaging in 3.3

Dirkjan Ochtman dirkjan at ochtman.nl
Wed Jun 20 11:05:43 CEST 2012

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 10:55 AM, Tarek Ziadé <tarek at ziade.org> wrote:
> So I prefer to hold it and have a solid implementation in the stldib. The
> only thing I am asking is to retain ourselves to do *anything* in distutils
> and continue to declare it frozen, because I know it will be tempting to do
> stuff there...

That policy has been a bit annoying. Gentoo has been carrying patches
forever to improve compilation with C++ stuff (mostly about correctly
passing on environment variables), and forward-porting them on every
release gets tedious, but the packaging/distutils2 effort has made it
harder to get them included in plain distutils. I understand there
shouldn't be crazy patching in distutils, but allowing it to inch
forward a little would make the lives of the Gentoo Python team
easier, at least.

Cheers,

Dirkjan