[Python-Dev] Status of packaging in 3.3

Alexis Métaireau alexis at notmyidea.org
Wed Jun 20 15:36:08 CEST 2012

Le mer. 20 juin 2012 15:28:56 CEST, Nick Coghlan a écrit :
> There would be two main parts to such a PEP:
> - defining the command line interface and capabilities (pysetup)
> - defining the programmatic API (packaging.pypi and the dependency
> graph management)
Okay. I don't think that the command line has anything to do with
packaging.pypi and dependency management tools.
One is dealing with the hole cli for different tings (install / remove /
search etc.) while the other one is only how to communicate with the
indexes and build dependency graphs from there.

We probably should put the cli part in a separate PEP, as the scopes
aren't the same that the ones I see for packaging.pypi / depgraph

> I would suggest looking at PEP 405 (venv) and PEP 397 (Windows
> launcher) to get an idea of the kind of content that might be
> appropriate. It's definitely not necessary to reproduce the full API
> details verbatim in the PEP text - it's OK to provide highlights and
> point to a reference implementation for the full details.
Thanks for the pointers, will read them and try to come back with a PEP
proposal.

Alexis