[Python-Dev] PEP 362 6th edition

Yury Selivanov yselivanov.ml at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 19:21:00 CEST 2012

Hello,

The new revision of PEP 362 has been posted:
http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0362/

1. Signature & Parameter objects are now immutable

2. Signature.replace() and Parameter.replace()

3. Signature has a new default constructor, which
accepts parameters list and a return_annotation.
Parameters list is checked for the correct order
(i.e. keyword-only before var-keyword, not vice-versa)

The second way to instantiate Signatures is to use
'from_function', which creates a Signature object
for the passed function.

4. Parameter.__str__

5. Positional-only arguments are rendered in '<>'

6. PEP was updated to include new documentation &
small examples.

The implementation is updated and 100% test covered.
Please see the issue: http://bugs.python.org/issue15008

Open questions:
Just one - Should we rename 'replace()' to 'new()'?  I like
'new()' a bit better - it suggests that we'll get a new object.

-
Yury

PEP: 362
Title: Function Signature Object