[Python-Dev] Status of packaging in 3.3

Tarek Ziadé tarek at ziade.org
Thu Jun 21 21:17:01 CEST 2012

On 6/21/12 7:56 PM, Chris McDonough wrote:
>> think any API has been removed or modified.
>>

>> In my opinion, distribute is the only project that should go forward
>> since it's actively maintained and does not suffer from the bus factor.
> Yeah the biggest difference is Py3 compat, other than that afaik I don't
>
> I'm not too interested in the drama/history of the fork situation
You are the one currently adding drama by asking for a new setuptools
release and saying distribute is diverging.

> so I don't care whether setuptools has the fix or distribute has it or
> both have it, but being able to point at some package which doesn't
> prevent folks from overriding sys.path ordering using PYTHONPATH would
> be a good thing.

It has to be in Distribute if we want it in most major Linux distros.

And as I proposed to PJE I think the best thing would be to have a
single project code base, working with Py3 and receiving maintenance
fixes with several maintainers.

Since it's clear we're not going to add feature in any of the projects,
I think we can safely trust a larger list of maintainers, and just keep
the project working until the replacement is used