[Python-Dev] Status of packaging in 3.3

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 00:32:45 CEST 2012

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 11:00 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net>wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 22:46:58 +0200
> Dag Sverre Seljebotn <d.s.seljebotn at astro.uio.no> wrote:
> > > The other thing is, the folks in distutils2 and myself, have zero
> > > knowledge about compilers. That's why we got very frustrated not to see
> > > people with that knowledge come and help us in this area.
> >
> > Here's the flip side: If you have zero knowledge about compilers, it's
> > going to be almost impossible to have a meaningful discussion about a
> > compilation PEP.
>
> If a PEP is being discussed, even a packaging PEP, it involves all of
> python-dev, so Tarek and Éric not being knowledgeable in compilers is
> not a big problem.
>
> > The necessary prerequisites in this case is not merely "knowledge of
> > compilers". To avoid repeating mistakes of the past, the prerequisites
> > for a meaningful discussion is years of hard-worn experience building
> > software in various languages, on different platforms, using different
> > build tools.
>
> This is precisely the kind of knowledge that a PEP is aimed at
> distilling.

What would you imagine such a PEP would contain ? If you don't need to
customize the compilation, then I would say refactoring what's in distutils
is good enough. If you need customization, then I am convinced one should
just use one of the existing build tools (waf, fbuild, scons, etc…). Python
has more than enough of them already.

By refactoring, I mean extracting it completely from command, and have an
API similar to e.g. fbuild (
https://github.com/felix-lang/fbuild/blob/master/examples/c/fbuildroot.py),
i.e. you basically have a class PythonBuilder.build_extension(name,
sources, options). The key point is to remove any dependency on commands.
If fbuild were not python3-specific, I would say just use that. It would
cover most usecases.

Actually,