[Python-Dev] Checking if unsigned int less then zero.

Dmitriy Tochansky tochansky at tochlab.net
Fri Jun 22 10:09:54 CEST 2012

Hello!
Playing with cpython source, I found some strange strings in
socketmodule.c:

---
         if (flowinfo < 0 || flowinfo > 0xfffff) {
             PyErr_SetString(
                 PyExc_OverflowError,
                 "getsockaddrarg: flowinfo must be 0-1048575.");
             return 0;
         }
---

---
     if (flowinfo < 0 || flowinfo > 0xfffff) {
         PyErr_SetString(PyExc_OverflowError,
                         "getsockaddrarg: flowinfo must be 0-1048575.");
         return NULL;
     }
---

The flowinfo variable declared few strings above as unsgined int. Is
there any practical sense in this check? Seems like gcc just removes
this check. I think any compiler will generate code that checks as
unsigned, for example in x86 its JAE/JGE. May be this code is for "bad"
compilers or exotic arch?

--
Dmitriy