[Python-Dev] Status of packaging in 3.3

Dag Sverre Seljebotn d.s.seljebotn at astro.uio.no
Fri Jun 22 11:22:14 CEST 2012

On 06/22/2012 10:40 AM, Paul Moore wrote:
> On 22 June 2012 06:05, Nick Coghlan<ncoghlan at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> distutils really only plays at the SRPM level - there is no defined OS
>> neutral RPM equivalent. That's why I brought up the bdist_simple
>> discussion earlier in the thread - if we can agree on a standard
>> bdist_simple format, then we can more cleanly decouple the "build"
>> step from the "install" step.
>
> That was essentially the key insight I was trying to communicate in my
> "think about the end users" comment. Thanks, Nick!

The subtlety here is that there's no way to know before building the
package what files should be installed. (For simple extensions, and
perhaps documentation, you could get away with ad-hoc rules or special
support for Sphinx and what-not, but there's no general solution that
works in all cases.)

What Bento does is have one metadata file for the source-package, and
another metadata file (manifest) for the built-package. The latter is
normally generated by the build process (but follows a standard
nevertheless). Then that manifest is used for installation (through
several available methods).

Dag