[Python-Dev] Restricted API versioning

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Sun Jun 24 02:02:08 CEST 2012

Am 24.06.2012 01:44, schrieb Chris Angelico:
> This strikes me as in opposition to the Python-level policy of duck
> typing. Would it be more appropriate to, instead of asking if it's
> Python 3.3.0, ask if it's a Python that supports PY_FEATURE_FOOBAR? Or
> would that result in an unnecessary proliferation of flag macros?

The version number is a sufficient rule. Flags aren't necessary as we
can never remove or alter the signature of a API function. We can only
add new features. Otherwise we'd break the API and binary interface
(ABI) for C extensions.

C compilers, linkers, dynamic library loaders and calling conventions
are limited and don't support fancy stuff like OOP.

Christian