[Python-Dev] PEP 423 : naming conventions and recipes related to packaging

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 12:58:30 CEST 2012

On 28 June 2012 11:36, Benoît Bryon <benoit at marmelune.net> wrote:
>> Also, I don't see what's so important about using
>> your company's name as a top-level namespace. You don't need it for
>> conflict avoidance: you can just as well use distinctive project names.
>
> Using company's name as top-level namespace has been proven a
> good practice:

Not to me. This is what Java does, and whenever I have encountered it,
I have found it a major pain.

As an individual developer, I have no company name. The "use your
domain" option doesn't help either, as I have 3 registered domains to
my name, none of which I use consistently enough to want to use as the
definitive domain to identify "my" code forever.

What if I abandon a project, and someone else picks it up? Do they
need to change the name?

I have lots of little projects. Do they all have to sit under a single
namespace package "paul"? That's a maintenance problem, as there's no
standard namespace package facility prior to 3.3 (I don't use
setuptools, in general).

The concept of using a company/domain/personal name as the top level
raises far more questions than it answers for me...

Paul.