[Python-Dev] Backporting PEP 414

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Mar 1 00:02:59 CET 2012

>> There is a really simple litmus test for whether something is a bug:
>> does it deviate from the specification?
>>
>> In this case, the specification is the grammar, and the implementation
>> certainly doesn't deviate from it. So it can't be a bug.
>
> I don't think anyone can assert that the specification itself is immune
> to having "bugs".

I can assert that - a specification inherently cannot be "incorrect". It
can only be "unintentional".

There are certainly documentation errors. They occur when the
documentation deviates from the implementation *and* from the intent.
They are easy to fix in a bug fix release (assuming the implementation
correctly reflects the intent).

But then, this isn't the case here, either: the *intent* of the current
grammar is that there is no u prefix in the Python 3 language. So the
specification clearly corresponds to the intent also.

Regards,
Martin