[Python-Dev] PEP 414

Éric Araujo merwok at netwok.org
Fri Mar 2 05:08:45 CET 2012

Hello,

Le 02/03/2012 00:15, Yury Selivanov a écrit :
> And that's just the beginning of such questions.  And when this PEP
> was suddenly approved, many of us felt that all those questions are
> not answered and were not even discussed.

Let me comment on that “suddenly”.  We joke about Guido being the
dictator for Python, but it’s actually not a joke.  The point of the PEP
process is to help Guido make an informed decision on a proposed change.
 (There are also side benefits like providing a record of design or
implementation choices, or documenting once and for all why some idea
will never be accepted, but let’s ignore them here.)

I can’t read Guido’s mind, but I think that here he pronounced somewhat
quickly because he was convinced by the arguments in the PEP, while
choosing to ignore the problems therein, knowing that they could be
fixed later.

Regards