[Python-Dev] Compiling Python on Linux with Intel's icc

Alex Leach albl500 at york.ac.uk
Fri Mar 2 11:55:59 CET 2012

Stefan Krah <stefan at bytereef.org> wrote:

> Alex Leach <albl500 at york.ac.uk> wrote:
> > I've managed to compile everything in the python distribution except for
> > Modules/_ctypes/libffi/src/x86/ffi64.c.
>
> There is an issue for this:
>
> http://bugs.python.org/issue4130

Yes, I saw that bug report, but it looked dormant. It is. In 4 years it's only
had one post (from you I see), and no proposed fix. The link you posted there
is the same link I posted (somewhere) in my previous email...

> > After compilation, there's a few tests that are consistently failing,
mainly
> > involved with floating point precision: test_cmath, test_math and
test_float.

> I think you have to compile with "-fp-model strict".

Thanks, I'll give that a go and will report back!

> In general, please submit suspected bugs on http://bugs.python.org/
> (after searching the archives) and post things like speed comparisons on>
python-list at python.org.

Thanks again. My only other concern is with distutils, as it doesn't support
icc on a Xeon.

However, numpy.distutils is almost compatible. I've had to make some mods to
the flags in numpy.distutils.intelccompiler and
numpy.distutils.fcompiler.intel, but it would be nice if this support was also
included in the global distutils...

Can the numpy version be used in place of the standard distutils? Again,
there's probably a more proper place to ask... I'll suggest patches for these
numpy modules to the numpy devs, but it would be nice if the core python
distutils supported icc too.

Thanks for your time!
Kind regards,
Alex