[Python-Dev] Assertion in _PyManagedBuffer_FromObject()

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 15:53:47 CET 2012

On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 12:39 AM, Stefan Behnel <stefan_ml at behnel.de> wrote:
>> I keep failing to see the interest in making this an error in the first
> place. Why would the object that bf_getbuffer() is being called on have to
> be identical with the one that exports the buffer?

OK, I misunderstood your suggestion. So you actually want to just
remove the assert altogether, thus allowing delegation of the buffer
API by defining *only* the getbuffer slot and setting obj to point to
a different object?

I don't see any obvious problems with that, either. It would need new
test cases and some documentation updates, though.

Cheers,
Nick.