[Python-Dev] PEP 414

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri Mar 2 20:41:07 CET 2012

On Mar 02, 2012, at 02:48 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:

>Consider: an application that uses 8-bit strings everywhere and blows up on
>non-ASCII data in Python 2 has at least a fighting chance to run unmodified
>*and* handle Unicode properly on Python 3. Because unicode literals are gone,
>a Unicode-aware Python 2 application currently has *no* chance to run
>unmodified on Python 3.

On its face, this statement is incorrect.

It *might* be accurate if qualified by saying "a Unicode-aware Python 2 *web*
application".  I say "might" because I'm not an expert on web frameworks so I
defer to those who are.  It certainly can't be applied to the entire universe
of Unicode-aware Python 2 applications.

>Accordingly, I'd like to ask folks not to stress too much about the
>precise wording until I get a chance to update it over the weekend :)

/me takes a deep breath. :)

-Barry