[Python-Dev] PEP 414

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri Mar 2 20:44:52 CET 2012

On Mar 02, 2012, at 12:58 PM, Hynek Schlawack wrote:

>3.3 is the IMHO the first 3.x release that brings really cool stuff to the
>table and might be the tipping point for people to start embracing Python 3 –
>despite the fact that Ubuntu LTS will alas ship 3.2 for the next 10 years. I
>hope for some half-official back port there. :)

Although I disagree with the premise (I think Python 3.2 is a fine platform to
build many applications on) it's probably likely what we'll have backports of
stable Python 3 releases to 12.04, at the very least in semi-official PPAs.

Just like today we're trying to provide a smoother path for LTS->LTS upgrades
where 10.04 had only Python 2.6 but 12.04 has only Python 2.7.  We have a
semi-official Lucid PPA providing Python 2.7, though afaict very few people
have actually used or tested it.

Cheers,
-Barry