[Python-Dev] PEP 414

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 07:20:14 CET 2012

On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 01:49,  <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:

> Zitat von Lennart Regebro <regebro at gmail.com>:
>

>> Just my 2 cents on the PEP rewrite:
>>
>> u'' support is not just if you want to write code that doesn't use
>> 2to3. Even when you use 2to3 it is useful to be able to flag strings s
>> binary, unicode or "native".
>
> How so? In the Python 3 code, the u"" prefix would not appear, even if
> appears in the original source, as 2to3 eliminates it.

Well, not if you disable that fixer. ;-)

But you are right, it isn't necessary. I was thinking of 3to2,
actually. That was one of the objections I had to the usefulness of
3to2, there is no way to make the distinction between unicode and
native strings. (The u'' prefix hence actually makes 3to2 a realistic
option, and that's good.)

So everyone can ignore this, I mixed up two issues. :-)

//Lennart