[Python-Dev] PEP 414 updated

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Sun Mar 4 20:55:16 CET 2012

On Sun, 2012-03-04 at 17:34 +1000, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> My rewritten version of PEP 414 is now up
> (http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0414/). It describes in detail a
> lot more of the historical background that was taken as read when
> Guido accepted the PEP.

"""
Just as support for string exceptions was eliminated from Python 2 using
the normal deprecation process, support for redundant string prefix
characters (specifically, B, R, u, U) may be eventually eliminated from
Python 3, regardless of the current acceptance of this PEP.
"""

We might need to clarify the feature's longevity.  I take the above to
mean that use of u'' and/or U'' won't emit a deprecation warning in 3.3.
But that doesn't necessarily mean its usage won't emit a deprecation
warning in 3.4 or 3.5 or 3.6, or whenever it "feels right"?  Does that
sound about right?

- C