[Python-Dev] Sandboxing Python

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sun Mar 4 23:53:48 CET 2012

Armin Rigo wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 18:34, Mark Shannon <mark at hotpy.org> wrote:
>> You can't solve the too much time, without solving the halting problem,
>
> Not sure what you mean by that.  It seems to me that it's particularly
> easy to do in a roughly portable way, with alarm() for example on all
> UNIXes.

What time should you set the alarm for? How much time is enough before you
decide that a piece of code is taking too long?

The halting problem is not that you can't breaking out of an infinite loop,
but that you can't *in general* decide when you are in an infinite loop.

I think that Mark's point is that you can't, in general, tell when you are in
a "too much time" attack (or bug) that needs to be broken out of rather than
just a legitimately long calculation which will terminate if you wait just a
little longer.

--
Steven