[Python-Dev] PEP 414 - some numbers from the Django port

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Mar 9 09:49:53 CET 2012

----- Original Message -----

> But the stuff you run is not really benchmarking anything. As far as I
> know django benchmarks benchmark something like mostly DB creation and
> deletion, although that might differ between CPython and PyPy. How
> about running *actual* django benchmarks, instead of the test suite?
>
> Not that proving anything is necessary, but if you try to prove
> something, make it right.

But my point was only to show that in a reasonable body of Python code (as opposed to a microbenchmark), the overhead of using wrappers was not significant. All those wrapper calls in ported Django and its test suite were exercised. It was not exactly a benchmarking exercise in that it didn't matter what the actual numbers were, nor was any claim being made about absolute performance; just that they were the same for all three variants, within statistical variation.

As I mentioned in my other post, I happened to have the Django test suite figures to hand, and to my mind they suited the purpose of showing that wrapper calls, in the overall mix, don't seem to have a noticeable impact (whereas they do, in a microbenchmark).

Regards,

Vinay Sajip