[Python-Dev] Docs of weak stdlib modules should encourage exploration of 3rd-party alternatives

Senthil Kumaran senthil at uthcode.com
Tue Mar 13 07:12:39 CET 2012

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 10:48:04PM -0700, Andrey Petrov wrote:
> @Senthil: I originally asked Guido for guidance on improving the
> standard library and perhaps including some of my favourite projects,
> but he pointed out that in a couple of years we might end up again in
> the same position as before but with one extra library people will
> complain about for being obsoleted yet remains impossible to
> deprecate.
>
> I agreed with Guido that embracing and even encouraging users to use the
> rapidly-evolving community-built packages alongside the tried-and-true
> standard library is the best move here.

I agree with that too.

I think, any improvements which can made by external libraries, if
they can be considered as can be good improvement in the stdlib, It's
a good idea to push them in.

I looked at the requests, I think that apis for various HTTP verbs is
something interesting, I think web applications authors see some
advantage there explicit GET / POST and sending specific options to
those. That facility, if it can be brought into urllib.request (3.3
onwards) it could be nice. Also you could have noticed an addition of
method= parameter in 3.3

I have not had a chance to look at urllib3. Should do. I have been
following httplib2 and use it.

Thanks,
Senthil